From Diablo Wiki
- Were you looking for
For information about the Tyrael who is an angel, one of the few who takes an active role in assisting humans to battle against the forces of the Burning Hells. He was the one who provided the Horadrim with the soulstones they used to imprison Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal with centuries before the time covered in Diablo and Diablo II, and he has appeared to humans in many other times and locations, always acting to assist the humans in the fight against the demonic forces. Amongst players there is much speculation as to Tyrael's real agenda, but in the game all of the NPCs seem to hold him in the highest esteem.
Tyrael is seen in three places in Diablo II. The first is at the end of Act Two, when he greets the player from the island where Baal/Tal Rasha had been imprisoned. The second meeting comes in the Pandemonium Fortress, the town of Act Four, where Tyrael interacts with characters like any other NPC, though of course he's a bit less chatty. He is not a merchant, but he can resurrect dead mercs, for the usual price. What Tyrael does with the gold is an eternal question and running joke for many players. The third sighting of Tyrael comes at the end of Act Five, when he descends from above after Baal's defeat in the Worldstone Chamber. After a speech in which he asserts that Baal has poisoned the Worldstone and that it will no longer function to keep most of the forces of Heaven and Hell from flooding into the mortal world, Tyrael creates a portal for the human heroes to leave. After their departure, Tyrael hurls his sword into the Worldstone, causing it to shatter into countless millions of pieces, and its this explosion and apparent doom for humanity that fills the final cinematic of Diablo II.
Act Two Dialogues
Tyrael appears at the very end of the act, after a player has defeated Duriel, and gives the following message:
- I thank you, mortal, for my freedom. But I did expect you earlier.
- I am the Archangel Tyrael. I came here to prevent Diablo from freeing his brother, Baal. But I have failed. Now, Terror and Destruction roam free throughout your world.
- Even now, they head towards the Eastern capital of Kurast - to the very heart of the Zakarum Temple. There they hope to find their eldest brother, Mephisto, the Lord of Hatred who was imprisoned there ages ago.
- If the three Prime Evils unite, they will be invincible. Though it is unclear as to what their aims are, it is certain that they must be stopped at all costs.
- I am broken and the energies that tie me to this world are diminishing rapidly.
- You must take up this quest and prevent the Three Brothers from reuniting. You must cross the sea and search for Diablo and Baal in Kurast.
- Now hurry, mortal... Time is running out for all of us!
Act Four Dialogues
Tyrael is a permanent resident of the Pandemonium Fortress, standing by the unlit fireplace the entire time a player is in Act Four. Tyrael gives out quests and quest rewards, and opens a red portal to Harrogath, after players (in the expansion pack) defeat Diablo.
- Good to see you.
- Good to see you again.
- Greetings, mortal. I knew you'd find your way back here.
- Hail to you, champion.
- I need your help.
- Thank you.
- Welcome, avenger.
- What can I do for you?
- What do you need?
- Your presence honors me.
- It is good to see you again, hero.
- Mephisto's defeat is a great victory for the Light. I knew that you would eventually find your way here. The Pandemonium Fortress is the last bastion of Heaven's power before the Gates of the Burning Hells.
- This place has been hallowed by the blood of thousands of champions of the Light, many of whom were mortal, like yourself. Now the final battle against the Prime Evils draws near... and you must face it alone.
- I have been forbidden to aid you directly, save for a few bits of wisdom. For this is the hour of mortal Man's triumph...your triumph.
- May the Light protect you and the powers of Heaven shine upon your path...
The Fallen Angel
- There is a dark, tortured soul who was trapped within this forsaken realm long ago. He was called Izual by mortal men, and in ages past he was my most trusted Lieutenant.
- Yet, against my wishes he led an ill-fated assault upon the fiery Hellforge, itself.
- Despite his valor and strength, Izual was captured by the Prime Evils and twisted by their perverse power. They forced him to betray his own kind and give up Heaven's most guarded secrets.
- He became a corrupt shadow of his former self - a fallen angel trusted neither by Heaven nor Hell.
- For his transgressions, Izual's spirit was bound within the form of a terrible creature which was summoned from the Abyss. His maddened spirit has resided within that tortured husk for many ages now.
- It seems to me that he has suffered long enough. I implore you, hero, find Izual and release him from his cruel imprisonment.
- Put an end to his guilt and suffering.
- Though Izual no longer carries the Angelic Runeblade, Azurewrath, he may still possess great strength and power within his new form.
- Also, he may not be able to tell friend from foe while in his present state. If you find him, he will almost certainly be hostile.
- Proceed with the utmost caution.
- You mustn't delay, mortal hero. Izual must be put to rest, but Diablo still lurks within this realm.
- Go now... Hurry!
- Thank you, hero, for putting Izual's tortured spirit to rest. May the Light protect you and the powers of Heaven shine upon your path.
- But, if what you tell me is true, then I fear that we have been played for fools all along.
- Izual helped Diablo and his Brothers trick me into using the Soulstones against them... Now the Stones' powers are corrupted.
- With the combined powers of the Soulstones under their control, the Prime Evils will be able to turn the mortal world into a permanent outpost of Hell!
- The time has come to hunt down and destroy Diablo, himself.
- But beware, the Lord of Terror is not to be underestimated. He single-handedly destroyed the town of Tristram and corrupted the last noble hero who tried to stop him.
- This time, you must defeat him for good. Only by destroying the Soulstone which he carries will his spirit be banished forever.
- Good luck! Though this be our darkest hour, it may yet be your greatest moment.
Completion (Diablo II)
- Praise be to the Light! You have accomplished the impossible!
- Diablo and Mephisto have been banished back into the Black Abyss that spawned them and the corrupted Soulstones are no more.
- You've done well, hero. For now, you should rejoice.
Completion (Diablo II:LoD)
- Praise be to the Light! You have accomplished the impossible!
- Diablo and Mephisto have been banished back into the Black Abyss that spawned them, and the corrupted Soulstones are no more.
- However, while you were fighting here, Baal remained behind in the mortal realm, building an army of hellish minions. Now, Baal's army is searching for the Worldstone, the ancient source of all the Soulstones and their power, while leaving behind a wake of destruction. They have forged deeply into the Barbarian homelands, heading directly for the summit of Mount Arreat!
- Baal knows, mortal hero! That is the very site of the blessed Worldstone!
- Now, enter the portal I have opened for you. It will take you to the Barbarian city of Harrogath, the last bastion of Order on the slopes of Arreat.
About Deckard Cain
- Long ago, I swore an oath to watch over the Horadrim and their descendants.
- As Deckard Cain is the last of their esteemed Order, I will not allow him to perish here so far from the lands of his birth.
- Be at ease, hero, I know that he is your friend. He shall come to no harm.
Gossip (about Tyrael)
From Deckard Cain
- I have read much about the enigmatic Archangel Tyrael. He was revered in Horadrim lore both for his compassion for mortals and his unquenchable spirit.
- It was rumored that he went against the wishes of Heaven and gave the Horadrim the original Soulstones in order to trap Diablo and his Brothers.
Act Five Dialogues
Tyrael appears at the very end of the act, after a character has defeated Baal in the Worldstone Chamber. Tyrael floats down from the ceiling after Baal's death, to speak and open a red portal that exits your character from the game and takes them to a victory screen where their new title is displayed. Tyrael's speech goes as follows:
I am impressed, mortal. You have overcome the greatest challenge this world has ever faced and defeated the last of the Prime Evils. However, we are too late to save the Worldstone. Baal's destructive touch has corrupted it completely.
May the Eternal Light shine upon you and your descendants for what you've done this day. The continued survival of mankind is your legacy! Above all else, you have earned a rest from this endless battle.
Given enough time, the Worldstone's energies will drain away and the barriers between the worlds will shatter -- the powers of Hell will flood into this...Sanctuary...and eradicate your people and everything you've labored to build.
Therefore, I must destroy the corrupted Worldstone before the powers of Hell take root. This act will change your world forever -- with consequences even I cannot foresee. However, it is the only way to ensure mankind's survival.
Go now, mortal. I have opened a portal that will lead you to safety.
Tyrael is then shown in the game-ending cinematic. He chants for a moment, then throws his sword into the Worldstone, causing it to shatter and explode into countless tiny shards. It's not yet known what plot/story ramifications the destruction of the worldstone will create. Perhaps Diablo 3 will answer those questions?
|Characters & NPCs [
D2 NPCs D1 NPCs
Copyright IncGamers Ltd 2016