The Blackened Temple
From Diablo Wiki
Quest Five: The Blackened Temple
- Quest Name: The Blackened Temple
- Triggered by: Completing Quest Four or entering the Kurast Causeway
- Given by: Ormus
- Location: Travincal
- Rewards: No reward, other than being able to enter the Durance of Hate.
- Quest Priority: Not required if you can get into the Durance of Hate, but if you can not, then this quest must be completed.
To complete the quest you must smash the Compelling Orb with Khalim's Will. The final item of the Will is Khalim's Flail, and it's dropped by one of the High Council. You will find three of them there.
There are six members of the Zakarum High Council. Over the centuries they have been the heads of the Zakarum religion, charged with their holy duty of guarding the imprisoned Lord of Hatred, Mephisto. However they have turned to evil over the years, and been corrupted by Mephisto's influence. The six are now his servants, transformed by his demonic powers into disfigured and fearsome demons. You find three of them in Travincal, and three more on the third level of the Durance of Hate.
In Travincal you'll see Ismail Vilehand, Geleb Flamefinger, and Toorc Icefist. These guys are like extra powerful random boss monsters, they all have two preset modifiers, and gain another one on Nightmare and two on Hell. They can raise Hydras and heal themselves, so be prepared for a wild battle.
Once you defeat the one that drops the Flail, you can smash the Compelling Orb. Once it is destroyed the normal Zakarum will all run from you, rather than attacking. The Orb was "compelling" them to evil, but with it smashed they are free and don't want to fight. Any remaining High Council or their minions will still attack though, as will other monsters, such as the Dark Lords you see in Travincal.
Tips: Use the terrain around Travincal to your advantage. There are numerous areas with ledges and other things the High Council can't leap over to get to you, and if you have a ranged attack you can hit them from safety, aside from the Hydras they'll raise to shoot you.
Travincal is always the same layout, so learn it, and you'll know where the safe spots are, where the waypoint is (over to the upper left). Dark Lords abound in Travincal, and they can see you right through the walls of the temples, and call down Meteors. If you are being bombed by Meteors and can't see the attacker, try running into whatever temples are nearby and looking in the corners.
You don't need to smash the Compelling Orb if another player gives you a town portal into the Durance of Hate, but you must kill the Council in Travincal before you can use such a town portal.
- You have done well, my friend. Your courage and valor are an inspiration to us all.
- But now the time has come to face those responsible for the evil that has stifled our land. You must destroy the High Council of Zakarum!
- Long ago, these elders were charged with the stewardship of Mephisto, the Lord of Hatred, who was imprisoned within the Guardian Tower.
- Through the generations, these pious men slowly fell more and more under the sway of Mephisto's malevolent power and the Council became an evil mockery of its former glory.
- It is Mephisto's Hatred that has corrupted Zakarum and turned its devout followers into paranoid fanatics. That is why you must travel to the Temple City of Travincal and slay the Council.
- Once they are gone, Mephisto's hold over this land and its people will be broken!
- The Black Book contains some vague prophecies regarding this undertaking. I'm not so sure it will turn out well for you.
- The Children of Zakarum who guard the Tower square can be killed, but their numbers are vast. You must destroy their Council.
- Ormus tells me that the Council is comprised of tremendously powerful priests. It will be difficult to best them.
- Remember. You can always find sanctuary here with us.
- There is only one way to the Temple City. You will have to cross many rivers and streams, but you'll find it. A great tower stands at its center.
- You are incredibly brave to venture into the lion's den. I wish you luck.
- You must know that the Guardian Tower in the Temple City was built by the Horadrim for one purpose - to hold Mephisto. Once the Council is dead, you may enter the Tower.
After Activation (Lam Esen's Tome quest wasn't completed)
- I am but a potion dealer and an avid reader of occult books. What do I know of the Travincal?
- There are many zealots among the followers of Zakarum. It will be difficult to get past them.
- The Temple City is well guarded. You'd best keep your wits about you.
- This has been a trying time for all of us, but I sense this nightmare is coming to an end.
- It has been said that Ormus speaks most clearly when his ideas are utterly mad.
- Beware the followers of Zakarum. Their fanaticism is their greatest weapon.
- Kill as many as you can. I have a morbid love of excess.
- The Iron Wolves and I are at the ready to aid you.
- Sankekur may be using a Compelling Orb to control the minds of the Children of Zakarum.
- The followers of Zakarum demand complete allegiance to their creed. They have slaughtered many of their own for minor grievances.
- They will not hesitate to kill you.
- Within the Temple City is a courtyard. The Council resides there.
- I respect your need to do this. Honor demands that you see this through. Yet your chances are so slim...
- If you die on this quest, I will commemorate your sacrifice in an epic poem. You will not need a potion to achieve immortality. Ormus' words will do that.
Return (Lam Esen's Tome quest wasn't completed)
- If only we could have found the Black Book. I feel as though a malevolent hand has led us away from it.
- Things are getting wilder than Ladies Night at the Slippery Fist.
- After having served Mephisto all these years, the Council must be twisted by hatred and evil.
- I have heard rumors that the Prime Evils are here seeking their Brother.
- You've accomplished the impossible! By killing the Council, the curse of Zakarum will be lifted and our land will be free!
- Oh. Thank you!
- The sun has set on the Religion of Light.
- Ridding Kurast of the Council of Zakarum was essential. Still, there is more you must do. The Compelling Orb, too, must be destroyed.
- Diablo and Baal must be close to finding their brother, Mephisto, by now. You've no time to waste.
- The followers of Zakarum lacked all sense of moderation. The collapse of their tainted religion gives me hope.
- It seems the jungle is already dying back. You've broken the curse, my friend! May the Light bless you!
- I can hardly believe you did it. Your power blankets you like a shining aura.
- Ormus is grateful to you, stranger. You have broken the long, dark reign of Zakarum and delivered the first paralyzing blow against the Three.
- Yet still, the true test lies ahead. For he whom the Council guarded still lives within the Blackened Tower.
|Quests of Diablo II - Quest Items [ ]|
|Diablo II||Lord of Destruction|
Copyright IncGamers Ltd 2017