Quest Three: Tainted Sun
- Quest Name: The Tainted Sun
- Triggered By: Entering the Lost City
- Given by: Drognan
- Location: The Serpent Altar is found on level two of the Claw Viper Temple
- Reward: None, other than the Viper Amulet and returning sunlight to the surface areas of the Act.
- Quest Priority: Mandatory if you are playing alone, since you must have the Horadric Staff to access Tal Rasha's Tomb. If you are in a party with someone who has the Staff, you don't need to do it.
To reach the Claw Viper Temple you must move through the surface desert into the Lost City. Once you get there the world will suddenly go to night, and will remain that way until you complete the quest. If you return to town Drognan tells you he's been researching this lengthy eclipse and believes it to be the work of Claw Vipers. You've never actually seen the reptilian creatures up to this point in the game.
You must explore the perimeter of the Lost City, and somewhere around it, randomly-located, will be a passageway into a small surface area, the Valley of Snakes. There are never any monsters there, other than an occasional Fireball Turret, so go right on in. The Temple is two levels with architecture much like every other tomb in the Act, and usually quite a few Claw Vipers, though you can get Greater Mummies with skeletons, or even Specters or Dark Lords. On level two you'll find the Altar of the Sun, which is causing the darkness outside, and when you click it out will pop a Viper Amulet for everyone in the game who hasn't done the quest yet, as well as some gold. The Viper Amulet is the headpiece of the Horadric Staff, but you can wear it as an amulet as well.
Tips: The Claw Viper level two is one of the most dangerous areas in the game. It's a small area, with very fast monsters that can hit for big damage, and Fangskin is always there, a Super Unique Lightning Enchanted Claw Viper. Sorceresses and Barbarians have it easiest there, as they can just leap into the middle and be relatively safe, though there are sometimes monsters spawned in there as well. Other characters should proceed with extreme caution, and it's a good idea to party here for added safety.
- Drognan, the wizard, will have some idea as to what is happening.
- Drognan may have some advice on this matter. Hmm... I think I'll speak with him myself.
- I've been researching this lengthy eclipse and I believe it to be the work of Claw Vipers.
- Find their temple beneath the desert sands and you may find the source of this curse.
- Two men arrived late last night bearing a story about evil magic. They said they saw a gathering of giant snake creatures performing some arcane ritual. They sound like the Serpent Men of the desert.
- This unnatural nightfall is no doubt caused by evil sorcery. Drognan might know what we are dealing with.
- This whole place is one big ale fog.
- This midday darkness reeks of foul magic! My men and I are trying to keep the peace, but this kind of thing really scares people.
- My astrologers failed to predict this eclipse. You should seek Drognan's advice.
- Claw Vipers! This outer darkness mirrors the inner blackness of their souls. It is they who have eclipsed the sun, I'll wager. They are a venomous band.
- This permanent darkness is very unsettling. Hmmm... It would make navigation by stars easier for me, though.
- The sun has grown disgusted with the terrible deeds it must shine upon each day. Damnation is upon us all.
- I was going to go to bed, but then I realized that I have no idea what time it is. It could be the crack of dawn, for all I know.
- The source of this spell is probably a magical altar. It will not be enough to kill the Claw Vipers. To reverse the spell you must destroy the altar.
- I've discovered a reference to a similar eclipse several hundred years ago. It says that some desert-dwelling snake demons had erected an evil altar, which caused the sun to go black.
- Perhaps we are dealing with something similar here. Look for an altar in the Claw Viper temple.
- I usually charge for rooms by the night.
- But I may have to soon change that.
- The Claw Vipers practice evil magic. They have also been known to kidnap travelers and sacrifice them to their dark gods.
- It's strange when the morning after the night before... is still the same night.
- Don't worry! My men and I have an iron grip on this town. If those cursed Claw Vipers are plotting anything against us, we'll be prepared for 'em.
- This eclipse is a definite manifestation of evil.
- Well... I don't know much about the habits of Claw Vipers, to be honest. Drognan will probably know something about the nature of the magic at work.
- I've had about enough of this darkness. I don't even know what day it is anymore.
- The calculated coldness of the reptilian brain makes the Claw Vipers uncanny adversaries.
- You have done well to restore light to our world.
- I've been speaking with Lord Jerhyn, and I sense that he is becoming more and more agitated by something. You should try to talk to him again.
- If he still won't take you into his confidence, seek to prove yourself a bit more. I gather that his respect for you is growing.
- You did well in destroying the Claw Vipers. We are all glad to see the sun returned to its former glory.
- Ahh... It takes but one eye to revel in the beauty of our restored sun.
- Drognan seems to have taken you into his confidence. This is good, for you will benefit from his wisdom.
- So, this is daylight... It's over-rated.
- I'm glad that's over with!
- The sun again shines on Lut Gholein! I'm beginning to like you, traveler.
- Ahhh... Claw Vipers are fond of magical artifacts. Did you happen to find one in their temple?
- So... Did you plunder any booty?
- With renewed daylight, one may gather the wits that were scattered about like restrictive undergarments in the darkness.
|Quests of Diablo II - Quest Items [ ]|
|Diablo II||Lord of Destruction|