From Diablo Wiki
Quest Six: The Guardian
- Quest Name: The Guardian
- Triggered by: Smashing the Compelling Orb or entering the Durance of Hate
- Given by: Ormus
- Location: Mephisto is on level three of the Durance of Hate, entered from the large temple in Travincal
- Rewards: None from NPCs, but you will find a portal to take you to Act Four.
- Quest Priority: You must complete this quest to move on to Act Four
On the third level of the Durance of Hate you'll find Mephisto. You must kill him to gain access to the Hell Gate, the portal to Act Four. You can see it in the middle of the blood lake, but can't get to it, even with teleport or leap attack, until you kill Mephisto. Once he's dead and you walk over towards the Portal from his side of the blood, a bridge of skeletons will emerge from the blood.
Mephisto is not all that hard, his main weapon is a fast cold ball that can do huge damage if you lack sufficient cold resistance. He also has a charged bolt sort of attack and a close range poison attack, but neither of those are real dangerous to a properly-equipped character.
It's often harder to get to him, with the three High Council members on the level. Beware of Bremm Sparkfist, Wyand Voidbringer, and Maffer Dragonhand. Bremm has a few minions and is always near the entrance to the large room with the blood pools. He was terribly difficult in Diablo II pre-v1.08, since he was always Lightning Enchanted and Blessed Aim Aura Enchanted, and on Nightmare and Hell he would very often get Multi-shot also. He's also very quick, and will usually just devour any minions you put in his path. Since v1.08 he's changed from Lightning to Fire Enchanted, so he is much less dangerous.
Around Mephisto and often elsewhere on the level you'll find lots of Dark Lords, so get used to Meteors raining down.
Tips: You can kill Mephisto from a distance if you have a ranged attack and can't go toe to toe. Get him to come over near the Blood moat and run around to the other side. If you keep him just on the edge of the screen, you can shoot him with impunity.
Bremm Sparkfist is always in the middle of the room, but the other two High Council members are in the side rooms, so you can fight one or the other of them going around, but you won't have to do both unless you go looking for them.
If Bremm Sparkfist or one of the other High Council bosses are too hard to kill, and too fast to ditch, you can lead them into a side room and take a town portal out, then take another character's portal or the waypoint back down and go through Level three without having to deal with them, as long as you leave them in whatever side room you ditched them in by your portal. This works in reverse also; cast a portal near Mephisto, lead the High Council to the stairs up, run to the waypoint, and go down your portal.
- Diablo and Baal have surely found the Temple City by now. They seek to free their Brother, Mephisto, who was imprisoned by the Horadrim in the Temple's Guardian Tower.
- You must reach him before his Brothers do and prevent them from releasing Hatred upon the world.
- The hidden ways of the Tower are long forgotten. Though... it is rumored to have been built as far below the ground as above it.
- I sent a few of my Iron Wolves on a scouting mission into the jungle near the Temple City... They encountered two cloaked men who attacked them with horrifying powers.
- My men barely survived. I have to assume that the two strangers are Diablo and Baal.
- You'd better hurry. They're close to finding their brother.
- You must reach Mephisto before his brothers do.
- Mephisto, along with Baal, was originally captured in the desert near Lut Gholein. But imprisoning two of the Brothers together was far too dangerous.
- The Horadrim built the Guardian Tower to hold Mephisto. When Zakarum came to power in this land, it took over the Temple City without paying any heed to what was locked within the Tower.
- And it became their doom.
- Be careful when you return to the Tower. Though many of the followers of Zakarum have fled, there's no telling what horrors still lurk inside it.
- Now you rush to face Mephisto. Don't give in to your hatred. That is his greatest weapon against you.
- Make haste! Though the Three are sure to reunite, it is uncertain as to what they have planned once they do.
- Be cautious, my friend. Though you are mighty, no mortal can stand alone against the power of the Prime Evils.
After Activation (Lam Esen's Tome quest wasn't completed)
- We have seen Diablo, but remain unsure of his Brothers' whereabouts.
- Many Iron Wolves have disappeared in Travincal. The Evil is still strong there.
- The ancient Horadrim always feared that the Three would escape their prisons and unite. I can't believe that I, the last of their Order, have seen it come to pass.
- You are the only one who can prevent this, my friend. The final hour draws near.
- I hear there is a little family reunion about to take place in Kurast. The Three brothers draw close.
- Move quickly, my friend, and end this curse once and for all!
- Well, the good news is that events are unfolding just as Lam Esen foretold. The bad news is that the story ends in our utter ruin!
- The sudden reduction in our ranks makes us eager to destroy Diablo and his brothers. Vengeance for the Iron Wolves!
- Search the Tower thoroughly. Mephisto must not escape.
- Why build a Tower to place the beast below ground? At times I believe the Horadrim lacked common sense.
- I ought to return to the ship. We may have to sail from here very quickly.
- Beware, my friend. Sankekur may be the most powerful mortal in the world. He controls thousands of fanatical worshippers and embodies the Lord of Hatred, himself. His death will be no easy task.
- I understand that the great Patriarch of Zakarum, Sankekur, now embodies Mephisto.
- You must overcome Hatred lest Terror and Destruction claim us all!
Return (Lam Esen's Tome quest wasn't completed)
- I'm afraid both fear and a large dose of elixir preclude me from answering.
- We will fight to the death.
- Shouldn't you be running frantically up and down stairs about now?
- I am loath to describe what will happen if Diablo and Baal release Mephisto.
- Your news is great indeed. You have saved us all. I would smile, but I'm afraid my face might collapse.
- Well done, my friend. You are a great champion of Order. Please, consider yourself an honorary Iron Wolf.
- Our faith in you was well deserved. But Diablo has made his way to Hell; and it is likely that Baal followed him there.
- Enter the Infernal Gate and kill the Lord of Terror before all is lost. Only then will our world be saved!
- It looks like you're going to Hell before me.
- Put in a good word.
- Ahh... Now, Kurast can begin the task of rekindling its former glory... I thank you.
- Word is spreading fast that you killed Mephisto. I'd be honored to fight beside you in Hell, but I've just received my mission orders.
- I'll be travelling to the Barbarian lands of the North, but I can't tell you why. With luck, our paths will cross again. Farewell.
- You have defeated a Prime Evil in combat. Ormus is impressed beyond words. But staying here will not end this conflict.
- You must enter the Infernal Gate and stop Diablo once and for all.
|Quests of Diablo II - Quest Items [ ]|
|Diablo II||Lord of Destruction|
Copyright IncGamers Ltd 2017