The Summoner (quest)
From Diablo Wiki
Quest Five: The Summoner
- Quest Name: The Summoner
- Triggered By: Talking to Cain once you reach the Arcane Sanctuary, or just moving near the Summoner's location in the Arcane Sanctuary
- Given by: Deckard Cain
- Location: The Summoner is found at the tip of one of the four points of the Arcane Sanctuary
- Reward: Killing The Summoner opens a portal to the Canyon of the Magi, and reveals the true tomb of Tal Rasha.
- Quest Priority: This quest is not mandatory. You can party with someone who has done it and has the Horadric Staff, or if you have the Horadric Staff you can just explore the seven tombs at random until you find the correct one if you can get to the Canyon of the Magi.
The Arcane Sanctuary is a very weird area, with bizarre, distorted architecture inspired by the art of MC Escher. The monsters found there are always the same, Dark Lords, Specters, and Goat Men, and they are quite densely-packed. This was one of the best leveling areas in the game prior to v1.08, but it's now no good for warrior characters since the Dark Lords and Specters are nearly physical immune, especially on Nightmare and Hell, and you can't leech from the Specters at all. You want a Sorceress here with you now.
There are four distinct limbs to the Arcane, and the type of layout is the same every time, though their locations are random. One way always has teleporters, one way has a lot of triple switch backs, one way is mostly straight with little zig zag staircases, and the fourth way is always straight and flat. Characters with ranged attacks love the teleporter way, and other ways with steps or cut backs that stop the monsters from advancing, while melee characters like the more straight ahead paths.
Tips: This is a very experience-rich area for characters playing within the usual progression rate, and it's popular to level up there, though the changes to leeching and physical resistance in v1.08 have made it difficulty for warrior type characters. If you are looking for the Summoner, rather than just killing things for experience, you should move to the very tips of the four directions quickly, since he'll always be in one of those. If you can't teleport, it's faster to get to an end, portal back to town, and run to the waypoint to return to the Arcane, rather than running all the way back over the branch you just cleared out.
Look at the final area once you kill the Summoner, there are six glowing glyphs on the walls, these six mark the false tombs. The one that's not displayed is the true tomb. Initially in Diablo II you had to note which one was not shown there, and then find it in the Canyon. This proved too difficulty for players to notice, so Blizzard added the true tomb display to the Quest Window, making it idiot-proof.
The Summoner will sometimes drop the Key of Hate on Hell difficulty. This artifact is used in the Pandemonium Event, a realm-only mega-quest.
- You always seem to find the worst trouble. I don't know how you handle it.
- The appearance of the mage you describe sounds like one I met back in Tristram. Many Vizjerei came to fight against Diablo, the Lord of Terror. Perhaps, this is one of them.
- You know, fate seems to have frowned upon all of the heroes who confronted that terrible Evil. Take care or the same may happen to you.
- Yes... The man you speak of sounds like the mage who came here many months ago. He claimed to have fought Diablo in the passages beneath Tristram.
- No doubt the fool wandered into Horazon's Sanctuary and lost whatever was left of his ravaged mind. He is beyond salvation.
- It is possible that the fool has been possessed by the spirit of Horazon. If that's true, then you'd better put an end to his tortured existence.
- Once done, I believe the demons who were summoned and imprisoned within the Sanctuary will cease to exist as well.
- Ugh... Crazy mages give me the creeps.
- Just kill him and get on with your business.
- Hmmm... That doesn't sound like Horazon. I'll agree that he may have gone mad, but from what you tell me, I don't think that's the case. Talk to Drognan... he may know more than I.
- So! Horazon's crazy, eh? I'd be surprised if he wasn't. All those centuries without ale would drive anyone to drink... but then you couldn't drink. And that would drive you to drink... Hah?... What was the question?
- That guy really talks like that? Sounds like either Horazon has gone stir-crazy or that's some impostor.
- The man you describe is probably not Horazon.
- He sounds like the very mage who came around here a while ago. He was very curious about this palace and seemed especially interested in the seal on the passageway in the cellar. He left shortly after that. I wonder how he got down there? The seal was never broken...
- That mage spoke a great deal to Drognan. Why don't you ask him about it?
- Ah, yes. I remember. There was a... fellow around here many months ago who asked almost as many questions about Horazon as you.
- So... He discovered enough to assume Horazon's place in the Arcane Sanctuary, huh? What a fool!
- Ah, yes. As a ship captain I am well aware of the phenomenon of a false Horazon.
- Sorry, just a little joke.
- There's nothing more dreadful than a powerful being driven by a frayed mind.
- You're more the hero than I could have dreamed. Perhaps, there is hope for us after all.
- I hope that this false Summoner found peace in death. Unfortunately, it is more likely that he will be dragged down into Hell by the demons he was bound to.
- Let this be a lesson to you... Demonic magic is a quick path, but its powers are seductive and deadly.
- Larger forces are moving inexorably towards us. You must now make haste to the Tombs.
- You make me long for the days of glory. When I had both hands, both eyes and more of a foot...
- I feel no pity for that would-be Summoner. His terrible ambition for demonic power was his undoing. You merely hastened the inevitable.
- The way I see it... Well, it's all pretty blurry.
- So, Horazon's been dead for some time. I take it you at least found what you were looking for.
- The demonic force that was emanating from the corrupted Sanctuary has dissipated. I thank you greatly for your help. Now, we can look to rebuilding our lives.
- All will be for nothing, though, if you do not stop the greater Evil which is rapidly gaining ground.
- Huhhh... Such is always the fate of those who meddle with evil.
- Well! You've got what you're after. Now get a move on before it's too late.
- I guess you'll be heading to the Tombs now? I hear that they're in the deepest desert regions.
|Quests of Diablo II - Quest Items [ ]|
|Diablo II||Lord of Destruction|
Copyright IncGamers Ltd 2017