Balrogs are Demons.
- See stats for regular Balrogs here.
These large, winged, steroid-popping demons are an odd contrast. They have a fairly non-damaging Inferno attack that they use from a distance. It's annoying at most. And they dance around a lot, circling the target and farting out their harmless Infernos. Once they close into melee range though, they hit as quickly as any monsters in the game, and for good damage, though their to/hit isn't that high.
The Balrog bosses are dangerous since they have different AI, and will therefore spend very little time dancing with their pointless fire attack, and will instead close right in and go into pummel mode. Don't let them surround your character or it can get ugly in a hurry.
All boss monsters in Diablo and Hellfire are SuperUniques; they always appear on the same level and have preset stats and non-random modifiers. Some bosses (mostly ones tied to quests) appear in every single game, while most of the others are found on a particular level only if their base monster type spawns on that level in that game. There are no non-quest bosses in Hellfire's Hive or Crypt.
- Stats are listed by Normal / Nightmare / Hell difficulty levels.
- MFL: Magic / Fire / Lightning.
- I = Immune
- R = Resistant (75%)
- - = no resistance or immunity to that element
- No monsters in Diablo or Hellfire have any physical resistance or immunity.
- Dlvl = Dungeon Level. The boss will be found on this level only if the base monster type spawns on that level.
- Mob = Some bosses spawn with a mob. The number of minions in the mob generally increases with difficulty level. Minions have the same stats as normal monsters of their type.
- IntF = Intelligence Factor. Values are from 0-3; smarter monsters will pursue more doggedly, and the value is used in various calculations. Monsters that can Follow if you break the line of sight or open Doors are marked with F and D.
|DLvl||Mob||IntF||Mlvl (combat)||Mlvl (items)||MFL|
|Windspawn (Vortex Lord)||12||Yes||1 DF||24 / 39 / 54||24 / 24 / 24||II- / II- / II-|
|Gorefeast (Vortex Lord)||13||No||3 DF||26 / 41 / 56||24 / 24 / 24||-R- / -R- / -R-|
|Blackskull (Balrog)||13||Yes||3 DF||26 / 41 / 56||26 / 26 / 26||I-R / I-R / I-R|
Balrog bosses have a different AI (Attack Type) than regular Balrogs. They use the Skeleton type AI, which means they spend much less time dancing around and shooting Infernos, and will rapidly close in to pummel your character with their fast fist attack. This makes Balrog bosses and their packs much more dangerous than normal Balrogs.
The damage listed is for the melee attack; Jarulf's Guide does not list the damage for their Inferno, but it's not especially great. Like all Inferno attacks in the game, it's more damaging at a distance than up close.
- Hit Points listed are for Diablo. All SuperUniques have a preset, non-random amount of hit points. Bosses have slightly higher hit points in Hellfire:
- Hellfire Single Player: +0 / +49 / +97
- Hellfire Multiplayer: +0 / +99 / +197
- Attack Type: Some bosses have different AI, and behave like monsters of another type. More information on attack types can be found on the Diablo Monsters page.
|Experience||Hit Points||AC||To/Hit||Damage||Attack Type|
|Windspawn (Vortex Lord)||3252 / 8504 / 17,008||711 / 2134 / 2847||70 / 120 / 150||120 / 205 / 240||35-40 / 74-84 / 146-166||Skeleton|
|Gorefeast (Vortex Lord)||3252 / 8504 / 17,008||771 / 2314 / 3087||70 / 120 / 150||120 / 205 / 240||20-55 / 44-114 / 86-226||Skeleton|
|Blackskull (Balrog)||3643 / 9286 / 18,572||750 / 2251 / 3003||75 / 125 / 155||130 / 215 / 250||25-40 / 54-84 / 106-166||Skeleton|
Balrogs are among the fastest monsters in the game. They are one of very few creatures that walk faster than players, they have a lightning quick hit recovery time which makes them very hard to stun lock, and their hit time is quick as well, allowing them to bludgeon your character very quickly.
- Characters walk at 0.4 speed. See the Diablo Characters page for swing speeds, casting speeds, and other useful character speed break points.
|Walk time||Hit Recovery Time||Melee Attack||Inferno Attack||Hit Time|
|Windspawn (Vortex Lord)||0.35||0.05||0.70||1.00||0.15|
|Gorefeast (Vortex Lord)||0.35||0.05||0.70||1.00||0.15|
|Diablo I - Hellfire [
Basics Quests Skills Monsters
|Diablo I Basics [ ]|
|Quest General Info - Quest Items[ ]|
|Diablo I Spells||Hellfire Spells [ ]|
|Diablo I Monsters - Quest Bosses - Superuniques Bosses||Hellfire Monsters [ ]|