Diablo: D1 Quest
From Diablo Wiki
Diablo is the boss of the game and the last quest to be completed in Diablo. He is found on level 16, in the last of a series of sealed rooms that can only be opened by skull levers thrown in sequence (or by casting telekinesis over the walls).
- Quest Name: Diablo
- Triggered By: Speaking to Cain after killing Lazarus.
- Frequency: Every game.
- Given by: Deckard Cain
- Location: Dungeon Level 16
- Reward: Finishing the game/difficulty level.
After completing the Archbishop Lazarus quest, speak to Cain in town who will present you with the final quest in the game.
After his speech the stairway (trap door?) will appear in the center of the pentagram on the floor of the dungeon, somewhere on level 15. Click anywhere on the pentagram and you will walk to the center and appear next on level 16.
Diablo is found there, in the south corner, within a sealed box and surrounded by Blood Knights and Advocates (with a few non-fire resistant Black Knights for laughs). The "proper" way to get him out is to work your way through the entire level, killing the monsters as you advance and throwing the skull levers to open the next corner room each time. The sequence goes from North to East to West to South, and is the same every time. There are always just the Advocates and Blood Knights on the level, with about half of them preset in the same locations every time. Enough others spawn randomly that the level is never entirely predictable, though.
If you want to hurry along, or just do the level non-sequentially, it's easy to use telekinesis over the walls. Head to the western corner and hit the two skull levers, and that's it; Diablo's square is open for business.
When Diablo dies the game ends and the concluding, head-spiking cinematic plays. You can see it on You Tube if you've forgotten. Warrior, Sorcerer, and Rogue versions. (They differ only by the shot of the character screaming after taking the soulstone. Only the Warrior version is shown in the game, since in the official plot it was decided that he was the one who defeated Diablo. The others were finished and left on the CD, but not enabled.)
Diablo is the only undead monster on the level (or anywhere in the hell levels, 13-16) and can be lured out of his box with Holy Bolt, since that spell will not hit any of the Blood Knights or Advocates in there. More fun is to get back as far as you can and open up with Flame Waves. Cast them constantly until Diablo finds you; a high level in that skill will kill all of the Knights as they advance, and take a fair chunk out of Diablo as well.
In terms of items, killing Diablo is pointless since he doesn't drop like a boss monster, and when he's dead the game ends. Most players who want experience and items (and the challenge of doing full clears of the Hell levels) clear out the rest of the level, lure out Diablo, and park him somewhere. Leading him to the top left corner and teleporting over the wall to the top right is the easiest way. Then just walk/teleport back to Diablo's square and deal with the Knights and Advocates he left behind. If Diablo is to be killed (he's worth good experience), kill him last.
In multiplayer be aware that the game ends when Diablo dies, so anything you've left in town will be lost (unless someone remains in the game and not on level 16, since they will not be force exited). In singleplayer the game ends, and you can either load the game to when you last saved it, or start a new game. It's best in SP to plan ahead, and to carry everything into the dungeon with you for the final fight with Diablo. When you kill him save the game, so you'll get experience for his death, and then start an new one.
Picking up Diablo's Drop
There's almost no reason to bother with this, since Diablo drops like a regular monster (albeit one with the highest level in the game), so his odds of dropping anything at all are very low, much less something magical and of a good item type. Still, it's fun to get his drop, so here's how. Wear him down almost to death, and while he's cooking in your firewall or being pelted by your Guardians or golem, cast Telekinesis so the grabbing cursor appears. Don't click it though, just wait like that, and when Diablo succumbs and (if he) drops something, you can use the TK cursor to grab it, while standing frozen as Diablo spouts blood and gives his death scream. You must have room in your inventory to hold the item or gold he drops.
It's easier if you're playing multiplayer. Just have someone wait in town or anywhere other than level 16, with a town portal left to 16. They will remain in the game when Diablo dies and everyone on 16 is booted from the game. Then rejoin the game and use their portal to head straight back to 16 to finish off the level, pick up Diablo's drop, or simply dance around in triumph.
- Your story is quite grim, my friend. Lazarus will surely burn in Hell for his horrific deed. The boy that you describe is not our prince, but I believe that Albrecht may yet be in danger. The symbol of power that you speak of must be a portal in the very heart of the labyrinth.
- Know this, my friend - The evil that you move against is the Dark Lord of Terror. He is known to mortal men as Diablo. It was he who was imprisoned within the Labyrinth many centuries ago and I fear that he seeks to once again sow chaos in the realm of mankind. You must venture through the portal and destroy Diablo before it is too late!
- The Soulstone burns with hellfire as an eerie red glow blurs your vision. Fresh blood flows into your eyes and you begin to ear the tormented whispers of the damned.
- You have done what you knew must be done. The essence of Diablo is contained, for now.
- You pray that you have become strong enough to contain the demon and keep him at bay. Although you have been fortified by your quest, you can still fell him, clawing his way up from the dark recesses of your soul.
- Fighting to retain control, your thoughts turn towards the ancient mystic lands of the Far East. Perhaps there, beyond the desolate waste of Aranoch you will find an answer, or perhaps, salvation.
|Diablo I - Hellfire [
Basics Quests Skills Monsters
|Diablo I Basics [ ]|
|Quest General Info - Quest Items[ ]|
|Diablo I Spells||Hellfire Spells [ ]|
|Diablo I Monsters - Quest Bosses - Superuniques Bosses||Hellfire Monsters [ ]|
Copyright IncGamers Ltd 2017