D1 Diablo (monster)
This page covers the monster Diablo, found in Diablo I.
- Learn about the Diablo quest in Diablo I.
- The Diablo monster found in Diablo II is detailed here. Also found in Diablo II: Uber Diablo and Pandemonium Diablo.
Diablo is always found within the sealed square to the lower left of the dungeon on level 16. Diablo is surrounded by a considerable number of Blood Knights and Advocates, but can be lured out without disturbing the other monsters by firing Holy Bolts at him. Lightning bolts or magical type spells will also work, since the Blood Knights and Advocates are always immune to lightning and magic.
Be sure you have picked up all of your items from town before you kill Diablo, since doing so ends the game in Diablo or Hellfire, and triggers the ending cinematic.
- See the Diablo 101 guide for more information and various strategies to deal with Big Red.
Voice Actor: Bill Roper
Diablo drops like any normal monster, rather than like a boss. He is therefore not guaranteed to drop anything at all, and when he does drop it will most likely be just a pile of gold. Diablo has the highest level of any monster in the game, but is not high enough to drop an item with any of the modifiers that can only be obtained from Wirt.
There is a trick to getting the item Diablo drops (on the rare occasions that he does drop something), though. You must cast Telekinesis before he dies, so that your cursor turns into the TK grabbing icon. Hold it like that, and then use that spell to pick up whatever Diablo drops. You must have space enough in your inventory to hold it. Also note that you can not cast TK once he's dead; the grabber spell must be ready before he dies. This means you can not strike Diablo to kill him; it's easiest to wear him down to nearly dead, before using Fire Wall or Guardian or another long-lasting spell to finish him off.
The Butcher, The Skeleton King, and Diablo are the three special monsters in the game. None of the three are classified as Animals, Demons, or Undead, and their stats and behaviors are unique to them, rather than borrowed or modified from other monsters.
- Stats are listed by Normal / Nightmare / Hell difficulty levels.
- MFL: Magic / Fire / Lightning.
- I = Immune
- R = Resistant (75%)
- - = no resistance or immunity to that element
- No monsters in Diablo or Hellfire have any physical resistance or immunity.
- Dlvl = Dungeon Level. The boss will be found on this level only if the base monster type spawns on that level.
- IntF = Intelligence Factor. Values are from 0-3; smarter monsters will pursue more doggedly, and the value is used in various calculations. Monsters that can Follow if you break the line of sight or open Doors are marked with F and D.
- Attack Type: Some bosses have different AI, and behave like monsters of another type. More information on attack types can be found on the Diablo Monsters page.
|Name||Dungeon Level||IntF||Mlvl (combat)||Mlvl (drop)||MFL||Attack Type|
|Diablo (D1)||16||3 DF||30 / 45 / 60||30 / 30 / 30||IRR*||Magma Demon|
|Diablo (HF)||16||3 DF||45 / 60 / 75||45 / 45 / 45||IRR*||Magma Demon|
- *Diablo is also immune to Stone Curse.
|Name||Experience||Hit Points SP||Hit Points MP||AC||To/Hit||Damage|
|Diablo (D1)||31,666 / 65,322 / 130,664||833 / 2549 / 3432||1666 / 4999 / 6667||70 / 120 / 150||220 / 300 / 340 *||30-60 / 64-124 / 126-246|
|Diablo (HF)||31,666 / 65,322 / 130,664||1666 / 5048 / 6764||3333 / 10199 / 13532||90 / 140 / 170||220 / 300 / 340 *||30-60 / 64-124 / 126-246|
- * Due to a roll over bug, Diablo's to/hit is 44 on Nightmare and 84 on Hell.
- Characters walk at 0.4 speed. See the Diablo Characters page for tables with all relevant character speeds.
|Name||Walk time||Hit Recovery Time||Attack Time||Hit Time|
|Diablo (D1)||0.30||0.30||0.80 / 0.80||0.20 / 0.55|
|Diablo (HF)||0.30||0.10||0.80 / 0.80||0.20 / 0.55|
The Realms Beyond
Excerpt from the in-game book The Realms Beyond
All praises to Diablo - Lord of Terror and Survivor of The Dark Exile. When he awakened from his long slumber, my Lord and Master spoke to me of secrets that few mortals know. He told me the kingdoms of the High Heavens and the pits of the Burning Hells engage in an eternal war. He revealed the powers that have brought this discord to the realms of man. My lord has named the battle for this world and all who exist here the Sin War.
The Tale of the Three
Excerpt from the in-game book The Tale of the Three
Glory and Approbation to Diablo - Lord of Terror and Leader of the Three. My Lord spoke to me of his two Brothers, Mephisto and Baal, who were banished to this world long ago. My Lord wishes to bide his time and harness his awesome power so that he may free his captive brothers from their tombs beneath the sands of the east. Once my Lord releases his Brothers, the Sin War will once again know the fury of the Three.
|Diablo I - Hellfire [
Basics Quests Skills Monsters
|Diablo I Basics [ ]|
|Quest General Info - Quest Items[ ]|
|Diablo I Spells||Hellfire Spells [ ]|
|Diablo I Monsters - Quest Bosses - Superuniques Bosses||Hellfire Monsters [ ]|